Fear of going to the dentist holds many people back from going. Unfortunately, this allows a small problem to grow, making it bigger by the time the patient finally gets to the dental office. Dental phobia is common, but with today’s new procedures, patients will find many of their fears are not a concern. Here are a few tips to make you feel more at ease when you visit the dentist:
– Visit the dentist in Mokena Illinois and get to know the dentist and staff before your first appointment so you feel more comfortable when you return for your exam.
– Find a sympathetic dentist who is willing to put you at ease. Discuss your fears with the dentist and set up a stop signal to use during procedures, in case you are uncomfortable.
– Ask for a detailed description of what will be done in your mouth.
– Don’t forget to breathe. Deep breathing is a simple way to relax.
– Schedule appointments at a convenient time. Avoid going to the dentist on the same day as a big business meeting. Early appointments are a great way to get the dental appointment “out of the way” so you don’t have all day to get anxious about it.
– Start out slow, first with an exam and x-rays, next appointment a cleaning – give yourself a chance to get used to being in the chair.
Have no fear – dental work has become painless with modern pain management techniques and procedures. Time for a great smile!
Autumn Dental of Mokena
19848 South La Grange Road
Mokena, IL 60448